Treasuring His Word

Psalm 94:19, 22- “When the cares of my heart are many, your consolations cheer my soul...the Lord has become my stronghold, and my God the rock of my refuge.”

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The Lord’s Prayer

I’ve been reading a book titled, “God’s Guidance” by Elisabeth Elliot and she has broken down the Lord’s Prayer into deep depth and detail. I thought that a thoughtful consideration of the words in this prayer would be helpful to some.


Our Father, who art in heaven,
Hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come,
Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
And forgive us our trespasses
As we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from evil,
For thine is the kingdom,
And the power, and the glory forever.
Amen.


“Our Father”

“When we address God we address the Creator of the Universe, the Ancient of days, the Lord of Hosts, the Mighty God. The thought of him should inspire awe and reverence. But he is also the Everlasting Father. Jesus taught his desciples to call him our Father. If we trust the Son who died for us and come to the Father aware of our need of his grace, we may take our position before him as a child, not knowing what is best for us but come asking to be shown what to do. It is merely a request, not a demand, and can be granted of refused. Surely any father would look tenderly on a child’s desire to be shown what to do. He will show him.

Our Father God is love, essential love, and therefore cannot possibly desire for his child anything but what is best.

He is all-wise and therefore knows just what that best is.
He is all-powerful and therefore can give what he wants to give.
His timing, his way of showing, and the things shown may not be at all according to the child’s expectations. But never mind. The Father will give all the help his child needs, he will take him by the hand and the child will learn.”

Daily Bible Verse:

Psalm 73:25-26-" Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart my fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."

No comments: