Treasuring His Word

Psalm 94:19, 22- “When the cares of my heart are many, your consolations cheer my soul...the Lord has become my stronghold, and my God the rock of my refuge.”

Monday, June 15, 2009

In Christ Alone- Verse 1

For about a week or so now, I keep finding myself singing “In Christ Alone” in my head (and sometimes out loud =). I decided to put scripture to the lines of the verses. I’ve found this to be very helpful and beneficial. Check back over the next few days for the others verses!

In Christ alone my hope is found
2 Corinthians 1:10 –“He delivered us from such a deadly peril, and he will deliver us. On him we have set our hope that he will deliver us again.”

He is my light, my strength, my song
Psalm 27:1- “The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; whom shall I be afraid?”

This cornerstone, this solid ground
Isaiah 28:16- “Behold, I am the one who has laid as a foundation in Zion, a stone, a tested stone, a precious cornerstone, of a sure foundation: Whoever believes will not be in haste.”

Firm through the fiercest drought and storm
2 Timothy 2:19- “But God’s firm foundation stands, bearing this seal: ‘The Lord knows those who are his,’ and ‘Let everyone who names the name of the Lord depart from iniquity.’”

What heights of love, what depths of peace
John 3:16- “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life”

Colossians 3:15- “And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body, and be thankful.”


When fears are stilled, when strivings cease
Psalm 34:4- “I sought the Lord, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears.”

My comforter, my all in all
Isaiah 51:12- “I am he who comforts you!”

Here in the love of Christ I stand!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here in the love of Christ I stand!!!

Ephesians 1:4- just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him In love.

Jude 1:24-Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, and to make you stand in the presence of His glory blameless with great joy,

As usual Candace you have chosen a great exercise. I have never thought about identifying the scriptural elements of the songs I sing, at least not in detail as you have done. When I read the words “Here in the love of Christ I stand” I cannot help but think of Esther standing before King Ahasuerus. Even as a wife of an earthly King she feared standing presumptuously in his presence (Esther 4:16). Then there was Isaiah; who when he realized that he was looking at the King of Whom the Seraphims covered their faces, cried out in the fear and panic befitting of a fallen man; “Woe is me!” (Isaiah 6:5). So when I consider how I am now able to stand in God’s presence, blameless, in love, and with great joy, it is truly overwhelming. I pray that the reality of this great mercy would not just overwhelm our senses, but motivate us to serve our Lord with abandonment and passion. Amen!

Jawara Jenkins