Treasuring His Word

Psalm 94:19, 22- “When the cares of my heart are many, your consolations cheer my soul...the Lord has become my stronghold, and my God the rock of my refuge.”

Saturday, October 27, 2007

Cultivating a Joyful Heart part 1

If you’re like me, finding the joy of the Lord to be my strength can be difficult at times, especially when I’m in a busy season of life or just in a season of needing to trust God for the unknown.

John MacArthur has helped me realized how important it is to cultivate a joyful heart. He say’s…..

“Spiritual joy, on the other hand, is not an attitude on chance or circumstances. It is the deep and abiding confidence that, regardless of one’s circumstances in life, all is well between the believer and the Lord. No matter what difficulty, pain, or disappointment, failure, rejection, or other challenge one is facing, genuine joy remains because of the eternal well-being established by God’s grace in salvation. Thus, Scripture makes it clear that the fullest; most lasting and satisfying joy is derived from a true relationship with God. It is not based on circumstances or chance, but is the gracious and permanent possession of every child of God.”

When he said “regardless of one’s circumstances” I was convicted! It was like a dagger going right into my heart. How often have I failed to cultivate a joyful heart in the midst of trying times.

John Piper say’s that “Knowing God is the key to being happy in God.” I need to be reminded daily that to have my joy in the Lord is not just a gift, it’s a command!

Daily Bible Verse:

Psalm 51:12-"Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"genuine joy remains because of the eternal well-being established by God’s grace in salvation."

"most lasting and satisfying joy is derived from a true relationship with God."

What Truth! Thanks for posting

Katherine Peschau said...

YEAH! You have a blog! I look forward to reading it, and seeing all that God is doing in your life. I miss you :)
Thanks for sharing....this is something that I have been learning about too and Psalm 51 has been on my heart a lot lately.
Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

from Allura: This is great, Candace! Thank you for sharing all this with me; I love the Piper quote. What a great reminder! I miss you too!