Treasuring His Word

Psalm 94:19, 22- “When the cares of my heart are many, your consolations cheer my soul...the Lord has become my stronghold, and my God the rock of my refuge.”

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Rising Early Part 1-Conviction

So I’ve been reading the book “Shopping for Time” by Carolyn Mahaney and her three married daughters. Which by the way is an outstandig book. They have challenged in the area of rising early. I have always had the tendency to have just enough time in the morning to get done the necessities and have a quick quiet time. I’ve decided I’m going to do a little three part series on why it is important to rise early because in reading their book I’ve been very convicted and I know it’s a battle that a lot of people face daily.

Well, a while back the Mahaney Girls created a club that they mentioned in their book called “The 5am Club.” This club was created simply to make better use of their time in the morning while being able to spend more time meditating on God’s word and enjoy being in His presence.

They ask the question, why morning? Here is some biblical encouragement as to why we should rise early to seek the Savior.

The palmist directs his prayer to the Lord in the morning and then watches for the answer….

Psalm 5:3-” O Lord, in the morning you hear my voice; in the morning I prepare a sacrifice for you and watch.”

Jesus himself rose early to pray….

Mark 1:35-“And rising very early in the morning, while it was still dark, he departed and went to a very desolate place, and there he prayed.”

John Piper offers this advice:

“I earnestly recommend that it be in the early morning, unless there are some extenuating circumstances. Entering the day without a serious meeting with God, over his word and in prayer, is like entering the battle without tending to your weapons. The human heart does not replenish itself with sleep. The body does, but not the heart… We replenish our hearts not with sleep, but with the Word of God and prayer.”

To be continued tomorrow……

Daily Bible Verse:

Psalm 92:4-“For you O Lord, have made me glad by your word; at the works of your hands I sing for joy."

2 comments:

Lana said...

Thank you for sharing on this subject! It is so relevant to all of us. I once heard someone say that, "It is better to look into the face of God, before we look into the face of man." How true! Looking forward to your next post. =)

overthinker said...

oh happy day, Candace has a blog. (smile)
excellent posts. i look forward to being provoked to greater godliness by your words!