Treasuring His Word

Psalm 94:19, 22- “When the cares of my heart are many, your consolations cheer my soul...the Lord has become my stronghold, and my God the rock of my refuge.”

Thursday, June 5, 2008

My Plan

At New Attitude John Piper spoke a message titled, “Fighting for Faith with God’s Word.” This message was outstanding and I highly recommend you to listen to it. You can download it here!

After Piper’s message Josh Harris got up and challenged all of us to come up with a “plan” that we would follow for our daily devotions. Here’s what I came up with:

This is what I feel the Lord is calling me to do for this particular season of life I'm in right now.

What Time: I’ve always enjoyed reading my Bible at night before I go to bed. In doing so, I have let myself stay up so late sometimes that I have a hard time getting out of bed in the morning to do devotions. I would like to be spending more time in God’s word in the morning. I definitely still want to read my Bible at night but, I need to be more diligent in getting to bed at a descent hour so I can wake up rested in the morning to do devotions.

What Place: Personally I've found that I need to be in a place where I’m not distracted from other things around me. I’ve started doing devotions on our back deck and sometimes walking down to the dock in my neighborhood when the weather permits to do so. Otherwise I find a place in my house that isn’t too loud or comfortable. I’ve found that if I stay in bed to do devotions I will find a reason why I need to go back to sleep. So NO devotions are aloud in my bed!!!

What Plan: Here are a few things I would like to accomplish during my morning devotions:

1. Start reading through the Old Testament. I definitely want to have a greater knowledge and understanding of all that took place in the Old Testament which is something that I’m not too strong in.
2. I would like to start memorizing some of the Psalms and scriptures that have to do with Joy and Trusting God.
3. Finally, I would like to spend more time praying. Praying for grace for my day ahead of me and for other people. Like I’ve said before, I would love to know how I can be praying for you! Please let me know!

It will probably take me a little while to get into the habit of following this plan everyday. I’m definitely going to need God’s grace to help me be motivated! My prayer is that I wouldn’t use this plan as a daily chore for me to do but, that it would be a delight as I rise in the morning to spend time in God’s presence. If you ever see me, please feel free to ask me how I’m doing with all I mentioned above.

2 Corinthians 12:9- “For Jesus said, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly in my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.”

3 comments:

overthinker said...

thanks for your transparency. it's encouraging to see how God is at work in others.

although i'm struggling with jealousy now about your dock...;)

dating virgin said...

so you should borrow/steal your sister's copy of "Promises Made" by Mark Dever as you make your way through the OT. I'm actually doing the same thing, haven't just started in Genesis last week. :-)

miss you.

Candace said...

That's a good idea! I miss you too! See you in a month!