Treasuring His Word

Psalm 94:19, 22- “When the cares of my heart are many, your consolations cheer my soul...the Lord has become my stronghold, and my God the rock of my refuge.”

Monday, July 14, 2008

At The Foot of The Cross

Yesterday as Church we sang the song below and I was very moved by a particular line:

Beneath the Cross of Jesus
Lord I would spend my days
In the shadow of the One
Who ransomed me
May I not become familiar
With its marvelous good news
But live my life with it
Always in my view

At the foot of the Cross
Lord I bow down and worship
Overcome by so great a love
At the foot of the Cross
I will cherish all Your mercy
All Your goodness
Your wisdom Your power
At the foot of the Cross

Upon the Cross of Jesus
Lord I would fix my eyes
For it always will remind me
Of these truths
My iniquity seems endless
Yet greater still Your grace
And I will glory in the Cross
Throughout the ages

I had to ask myself the question, “Do I become too familiar with its marvelous good news? Do I live with it always in my view? Are there other things in my life that I’m more passionate about than the cross?” I need to remind myself daily of the cross and what Christ accomplished on it for me. If I don’t remind myself of that good news daily I become self-sufficient and it’s very evident in my life. I need to be diligent to be in the Word daily to remind myself of His truths! This song makes me realize just how much more I need a Savior!

Give me a tender, wakeful conscience that
Can smite and torment me when I sin.
May I be consistent in conversation and conduct
The same alone as in company,
In prosperity and adversity,
Accepting all thy commandments as right,
And hating every false way.
May I never be satisfied with my present
Spiritual progress,
But to faith add virtue, knowledge, temperance,
godliness, brotherly kindness, charity.
May I never neglect
What is necessary to constitute Christian character,
and needful to complete it.
May I cultivate the expedient,
Develop the lovely, adorn the gospel,
Recommend the religion of Jesus,
Accommodate myself to thy providence.
-Valley Of Vission

Galatians 2:20-“I have been crucified with Christ. It is not longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.”

1 comment:

Andrew said...

I love that song. It brings back a lot of memories of when we used sing it in our care group. And it's just as convicting now as it was then.