Treasuring His Word

Psalm 94:19, 22- “When the cares of my heart are many, your consolations cheer my soul...the Lord has become my stronghold, and my God the rock of my refuge.”

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Little Children by God's Grace

“The person who is truly humble before God is also humble before God’s Word. God says He esteems the person who is humble and contrite in spirit and who trembles at His Word."

Luke 18:14- “For everyone who exults himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exulted.”

“As we search the Scriptures, we must allow them to search us.” As I was reading this, I stopped, and thought to myself, “I’m not always one to do this.” I need to not only search the Scripture that I read but allow the Holy Spirit to guide and show me what He wants me to teach me while reading the Word. Far too often I do the opposite of this.

“The contrast pointed to the Savior is not that between ‘educated’ and ‘non-educated’ but between those who imagine themselves to be wise and sensible- and those who live under the profound impression that by their own insight and their own reasoning’s they are utterly powerless to understand the truths of God and to accept them.” –Norvel Geldenhuys

Luke 10:21- “ I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that you have hidden those things from the wise and understanding and revealed them to little children; yes, Father, for such was your gracious will.”

God views us as “little children.” If Jesus proclaimed to the Father that He was a “little child” than I MOST DEFINITELY am a “little child” of God and I need to humble myself before Him and realize that I cannot do it on my own. I cannot be a self sufficient person! By God’s grace, He has provided sources such as, my parents, His word, and the Holy Spirit for guidance and wisdom. May I remember that daily! May God help me to be humble enough toward the Scriptures to be found in that group Jesus called “little children.”

“When a believer is truly humble before God and His Word, he will also be humble about his own gifts, abilities, and attainments. He will realize and gratefully acknowledge that all the he is and all the he has comes from the land of God. Our attitude of humility in regard to our salvation should carry over to recognition that any of our abilities and achievements are equally a result of God’s grace.”

1 Corinthians 15:10- “But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them, though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me.”

No comments: