Treasuring His Word

Psalm 94:19, 22- “When the cares of my heart are many, your consolations cheer my soul...the Lord has become my stronghold, and my God the rock of my refuge.”

Thursday, September 18, 2008

A Thirst for God

As I mentioned yesterday, I’ve been reading the book “The Fruitful Life” by Jerry Bridges. I’m just now finishing the second chapter of the book and have already been so convicted. I just can’t help but share with you all =). You will probably be seeing many posts from this book. I hope you find them encouraging and convicting as well.

“True godliness engages our affections and awakens within us a desire to enjoy God’s presence and fellowship. It produces a longing for God Himself.”

Psalm 42:1-2-“As a deer pants for flowing streams, so pants my soul for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.”

David expresses an intense desire for God: “One thing I ask of the Lord, that will I seek after, that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to inquire in his temple.” (Psalm 27:4) David yearned intensely for God Himself that he might enjoy His presence and His beauty. Bridges says, “because God is a spirit, His beauty obviously refers not to a physical appearance but to His attributes. David enjoyed dwelling upon the majesty and greatness, the holiness and goodness of God.”

As David contemplates God in the awareness of His infinite majesty, power, holiness, and then as he dwells upon the riches of His mercy and grace poured out at Calvary, his heart is captivated by this One who could love him so. He is satisfied with God alone, but he is never satisfied with his present experience of God. He always yearns for more!

Jesus says, “Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.” (Revelation 3:20) He desires that we come to know Him better; therefore, the desire and yearning for God is something that He plants within our hearts.

“In the life of a godly person, this desire for God produces an aura of warmth. The person who spends time with God radiates His glory in a manner that is always warm and inviting, never cold and forbidding.” After reading this, I needed to ask myself the questions, Is this what someone would say about me when I’m around them? Am I someone that is warm and inviting? Or do I tend to have a cold heart and judgmental attitude towards others? This is sobering and convicting! There have definitely been times that I have displayed a self righteous attitude towards others. This is most definitely not what I desire! I desire to be one that has a “warm and inviting” attitude towards others. I want people to know that I care deeply for them just as the Lord cares for me.

At the end of this chapter there were some questions provided that I thought were very helpful. Here are a couple:

1. To what extent would you say God is at the center of your thoughts? In a typical day, do you think of Him occasionally? Frequently? Constanly?
2. Who or what has dominated your thoughts over the past day? Why is that?

Psalm 63:1-4- “O God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you, my soul thirsts for you; my flesh faints for you, as in a dry and weary land where there is no water. So I have looked upon you in the sanctuary, beholding your power and glory. Because your steadfast love is better than life, my lips will praise you. So I will bless you as long as I live; in your name I will lift up my hands.”

2 comments:

overthinker said...

thank you for sharing your reading with us.

not to get in the way of any conviction the Holy Spirit is bringing, but I would definantly say that you are "warm and inviting"...at least to me. :)

Hannah Elisabeth said...

Hey Candace, it's Hannah Salsberry....I love reading your blog!!! It's so cool to be able to see and read about the lady God is making you. All our fun times as kids were always very special to me and now it's great to see you so passionately loving the Lord and others......I'll keep checking back reguarely!! Keep writing!