Treasuring His Word

Psalm 94:19, 22- “When the cares of my heart are many, your consolations cheer my soul...the Lord has become my stronghold, and my God the rock of my refuge.”

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

God Ordained Pain

Psalm 34:1 –“I will bless the Lord at all times; his praise shall continually be in my mouth.”… Even through migraines, back pain, and hand pain.

Recently I’ve had to rely on God numerous times to give me strength to get through my days. Ever since the age of 11 I’ve experienced some pretty bad headaches very regularly and have been to the doctors many times about them and haven't been able to point a finger on what’s causing them. It's to the point now that I've gotten pretty used to them. Recently I’ve also been experiencing a lot of pain in my back and hand. I’ve had something going on in my hand for about four months now and am still not sure what’s going on with it. I'm pretty sure the back pain is from work. I do not tell you all of this because I want to receive pity, but to share all that God has been showing me through the pain.

Especially through the headaches it has been easy to get a complaining attitude saying “when is this going to end God???” Today was another day of driving to work with a headache and a long day ahead of me. Something that I’ve been trying to work on lately is praising and blessing God at ALL times, even through the pain. Though I’ve had a headache all day, I’m thankful that today has been a slower day at work and I can rest a little more than normal. I should “count it all joy” (James 1:2) in the midst of headaches, back pain, or hand pain for God has ordained all of it and I should be thanking him rather than complaining. I’m so grateful that I can walk up to a medicine cabinet and get pain reliever and most of the time choose from more than one option when there are people in other countries that don’t even know what pain reliever is or don’t have the means to afford it. May I always remember that through the pain, God is at hand and this is something that He has ordained!

Thank You for the trials
For the fire, for the pain
Thank You for the strength
Knowing You have ordained
Every day

1 comment:

Colleen Moore said...

You go girl! =D

Years and years ago, in Atlanta, Elaine Hartwick shared that she had been experiencing tremendous pain in her arm that would keep her up most of the night. And, she too, decided to praise the Lord in the midst of it. That has stuck with me all these years. Whenever I'm experiencing pain I try to remember her example, and now yours. I even tell Brianna "Every time you feel the pain think of it is as reminder to praise the Lord!" (She's pretty sure I'm nuts, but I tell her anyway! lol) The words from are the basis to what has become my prayer for her...thanks for the reminder!

Candace, I stand in awe of my God when I look at your life. He is SO VERY real, and it truly causes me to worship Him all the more seeing Him so big in your life. He's AMAZING, isn't He?

Love you!