Treasuring His Word

Psalm 94:19, 22- “When the cares of my heart are many, your consolations cheer my soul...the Lord has become my stronghold, and my God the rock of my refuge.”

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Meditating on God

“The Navigators use the five fingers of the hand as mental pegs on which to hand the five methods of intake of the Word of God- hearing, reading, studying, memorizing, and meditating. In our devotion to God, the Word helps us in three areas- the fear of God, the love of God, and the desire for God.”

It is evident that the Word of God plays a crucial role in our growth in godliness and a HUGE part in our practice of godliness. I don’t know about you, but it always seems to be so helpful for me to have a couple of Scripture references that I turn to daily to help get me through whatever situation/season I’m in. Especially when we are faced with situations that are temptation to sin, we should have a scripture verse memorized that we can recite in our heads when faced with that temptation. This has been extremely helpful for me!

God uses His Word to create in our hearts the sense of reverence and awe of Him that causes us to fear Him. The Holy Spirit must make His Word come alive in our hearts to produce growth, so we must meditate in prayerful dependence upon Him to do His work. Neither meditation nor prayer by themselves is sufficient for growth in devotion. We must practice both!

No comments: