Treasuring His Word

Psalm 94:19, 22- “When the cares of my heart are many, your consolations cheer my soul...the Lord has become my stronghold, and my God the rock of my refuge.”

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Content to Be Me

Psalm 139:1-5, 13-16, 23-24- “O Lord, you have searched me and known me! You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from afar. You search out my path and my lying down and are acquainted with all my ways. Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. You hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me….For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them….Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting!

“O Lord, you have searched me and known me (verse 1). Every aspect of David’s life was searched out and controlled by what God knew. God was intimately acquainted with all of David’s ways (verse 3), even before He created him. David said God’s knowledge was so complete that it was as if He has scoured every detail of David’s life. God knew David’s actions, but more incredibly, He knew his thoughts.”

“I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well” (verse 14) Have you ever thanked God for His loving supervision of your creation? Have you praised Him for creating your personality? Can you say with David, “I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made?" When God fashioned us in our mother’s womb, He embroidered us with great skill. If we are displeased with our physical form, we’re really arguing with God. God wants each of us to praise Him for His workmanship in creating us.

“I would rather be what God chose to make me than the most glorious creature that I could think of; for to have been thought about, born in God’s thought, and then made by God, is the dearest, grandest, and most precious thing in all thinking.” –George MacDonald

God has a plan- a purpose- for each life: “Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them (verse 16). The Almighty Creator of the universe has a prepared purpose for us to walk in. He created us because He had a plan for us to fulfill. How loved and unique we are! All of our abilities and disabilities were created to fit the unique plan God has. Every circumstance we encounter God is using to do what He desires in and through us.

“God created our inmost being and fashioned us in our mother’s womb so that we might be equipped to fulfill the plan that He set out for us even before we were born. Who you are is not a biological accident. What you are is not a circumstantial accident. God planned both for you.” –Jerry Bridges

In Ephesians 2:10 we read, that you and I “are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.” When we’re not pleased with the talents, gifts, and abilities that God has Sovereignly placed in our lives, we are not convinced that God is the blessed controller over ALL things.

“God invited you to cooperate with Him to form the canvas of your life. If you yield to His artistry, the character of Christ will be reflected through the picture of your life. Stand back and look at the picture. What do you see reflected? Do you see the character of Christ, or do you see frantic activity? Do you try to paint with colors of character or colors of accomplishment?”

Let us remember that our inward character is our adornment (1 Peter 3:3-4)!

No comments: