Treasuring His Word

Psalm 94:19, 22- “When the cares of my heart are many, your consolations cheer my soul...the Lord has become my stronghold, and my God the rock of my refuge.”

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

My Journey to Contenment

Recently I’ve been doing a study on contentment out of Linda Dillow’s book, “Calm My Anxious Heart”. I've been freshly provoked as I think about the many things in my life that at times, I’ve failed to find contentment in…Please join me over the next couple weeks as I expound on what I’ve learned in the areas of finding joy and contentment in the midst of all God ordained circumstances. My prayer is that through the posts you’re encouraged as we embark on a journey to contentment together, finding God as our blessed Controller over all things!

Philippians 4:11-12- “Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In every circumstances, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me.”

Just looking at Paul’s life shows us how amazing these verses truly are. Paul lived a life full of anything but positive circumstances. He wrote them while imprisoned in a dark, dreary dungeon. He was chained, he was lonely. I’m sure he wondered if all he had done to serve Christ really mattered. Paul’s life was anything but perfect and controlled; yet he said, “I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content” Amazing!

“I know of no great simplifier for all of life. Whatever happens is assigned. Does the intellect balk at that? Can we say that there are things that happen to us that do not belong to our lovingly assigned “portion”? Are some things, then, out of the control of the Almighty? Every assignment is measured and controlled for my eternal good. As I accept the given portion other options are canceled. Decisions become much easier, directions clearer, and hence my heart becomes inexpressibly quieter. A quiet heart is content with what God gives.” – Elizabeth Elliot

The following is a list provided from the study. Practicing them has helped me tremendously in my daily fight to grow in contentment though ALL circumstances. Let me encourage you to do the same. It is difficult at times, but as we read out of Philippians, we can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens us and God’s grace is ALWAYS there to pick us up when we fall and fail to recognize the GOOD in our circumstances…

-Never allow yourself to complain about anything- not even the weather.
-Never picture yourself in any other circumstance or someplace else.
-Never compare your lot with another’s
-Never allow yourself to wish this or that has been otherwise.
-Never dwell on tomorrow- remember that [tomorrow] is God’s, not ours.

At all times, in all circumstances, Christ is able and willing to provide the strength we need to be content!

Father, I thank You that You are Sovereign over every situation and circumstance that go on each and every day. I pray that you would grant me the grace to find You as the blessed controller over all circumstances. In every situation may I be one who points my gaze to the cross, and just as Paul did, learn to find contentment in the most dreary circumstances in life.

No comments: