Treasuring His Word

Psalm 94:19, 22- “When the cares of my heart are many, your consolations cheer my soul...the Lord has become my stronghold, and my God the rock of my refuge.”

Thursday, November 8, 2007

Future Grace


“We are commanded in no uncertain terms to be thankful. ‘And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts….and be thankful.’(Colossians 3:15)In everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus’ (1Thessalonians 5:18), How can we not be thankful when we owe everything to God? We can’t even begin to pay him back, because Romans 11:35-36 says, ‘Who has given a gift to him that he [God] might be repaid? [Answer: nobody] ‘For from him and through and to him are all things. To him is the glory for ever.’ We can’t pay him back because he already owns all we have to give him. God does not like to have his grace nullified. He likes to have it glorified (Ephesians 1:6, 12, 14) Gratitude looks back to grace received in the past and feels thankful. Faith looks forward to grace promised in the future and feels hopeful. 'Faith is the assurance of things hoped for'(Hebrews 11:1)” -John Piper-

Romans 8:32- “He who did not spare his own son but game him up for us all [past grace], how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? [Future grace]”

“Trusting In future grace is the enabling strength of our obedience. The more we trust in future grace is the enabling strength of our obedience. The more we trust in future grace, the more we give God the opportunity in our lives to show the glory of his inexhaustible grace. So take a promise of future grace and do some radical act of obedience on it. God will be mightily honored!” –John Piper-

I have been very convicted by John Piper's wise words. He has encouraged me to trust in future grace. Oh the depth of the love of our Lord Jesus Christ. Not only do we have his grace now, we have it forever! The song below always reminds me of God’s steadfast grace….

It was your grace that drew me to the cross
It was your grace that gave me faith
It was your grace that reconciled me to yourself
Though I had sinned in every way

In you alone my strength is found
In you alone my hope abounds
In you alone my strength is found
My life is bound up in you

And in my weakness give me still more grace
Grace to cast myself on you
In every trial let me find you peace and joy
Grace to humbly walk with you

Give me more grace O God
And new mercies every morning!

Father my prayer is that in my recent days of needing to trust you for the unknown that I would seek to know you more and find you as my strength. I have been so blessed by your love and mercy. I'm in awe of your beauty and majesty. Thank you for the grace you have poured out on such an undeserving sinner like me.

Daily Bible Verse:

Habakkuk 3:18-19-“Yet I will rejoice in the Lord; I will take joy in the God of my salvation. God, the Lord, is my strength!

1 comment:

overthinker said...

Excellent post. I needed the reminders. (and it has John Piper, one of my favorite songs, and one of my favorite bible verses...)
Thanks.