Treasuring His Word

Psalm 94:19, 22- “When the cares of my heart are many, your consolations cheer my soul...the Lord has become my stronghold, and my God the rock of my refuge.”

Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Today’s Mercies for Today’s Troubles

Matthew 6:34-“Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.”

“Trusting Christ today includes trusting him to give you tomorrow’s trust when tomorrow comes. God will not let his children be tested in any given day beyond what his mercy for that day will sustain. God’s mercies are new every morning because each day has enough mercy in it only for that day. This is why we tend to despair when we think that we may have to bear tomorrow’s load on today’s resources. God wants us to know that we won’t. Today’s mercies are for today’s troubles. Tomorrow’s mercies are for tomorrow troubles.” –John Piper-

Lamentations 3:22-23-“The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases, his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning, great is your faithfulness.”

What truth! I don’t know about you but sometimes I wonder if I will have the mercy to stand in terrible testing. The answer is clearly yes! The problem is because of my sinful nature there are times when I worry about this too much. I fail to trust that God is sovereign and in control over ALL things. The thing of it all is I can’t recall one time in my life when God hasn’t been faithful to deliver me out of fear. Every time I have cried out to God for help, I have experienced His peace instead of worry. A quote that I have always loved and has helped me get through trying times is: “Two women looked through prison bars; one saw mud the other saw stars.”

“Day By Day”
Day by day, and with each passing moment,
Strength I find to meet my trials here;
Trusting in my Father’s wise bestowment,
I’ve no cause for worry or for fear.

He whose heart is kind beyond all measure
Gives unto each day what he deems best
Lovingly its part of pain and pleasure,
Mingling toil with peace and rest

Father I pray that when I’m faced with difficult circumstances that I would make you my blessed controller. Please help me to accept you ways, accept your outcome, and let my trust be in you alone. Give me grace not to look down at the mud, but to lift my eyes up to the stars!

Daily Bible Verse:

1 Corinthians 10:13-“No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond you ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.”

1 comment:

Lana said...

Isn't God kind to never give us more than we can handle? This post was very timely for me and I so appreciate you directing our gaze back to God. Thanks Candace!