Treasuring His Word

Psalm 94:19, 22- “When the cares of my heart are many, your consolations cheer my soul...the Lord has become my stronghold, and my God the rock of my refuge.”

Monday, November 26, 2007

Is God in Control?

Hey everyone! Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving filled with God’s amazing grace and got some good shopping deals on Friday. Sorry all FSU fans for the spanking from FL on Saturday. Maybe you can get’em next time!

Any ways, enough about that! Here is Chapter two from the book, “Trusting God”

Last night we discussed the chapter, “Is God in control?” I don’t think it’s a coincidence that we went over that chapter last night because tomorrow, November 27th is going to be a little bit of a difficult day for my family. Tomorrow will be the 69th birthday of my grandmother “G-mom” who passed away on December 21, 2001 which was one of the most difficult things my family has ever been through. (I will share more on why she passed away tomorrow)

1Timothy 6:15-“God…is the blessed controller of ALL things, the King over all kings and the Master of all masters.”

The central idea of this chapter is, God is in control, He has a purpose and a plan for you, and He has the power to carry out that pain. Mr. Bridges opens up this chapter explaining what God’s providence is with a quote by J.I. Packer….

“God’s providence is His constant care for and His absolute rule over ALL creation for His own glory and the good of His people.”

Jerry Bridges say, “Note the twofold objective of God’s providence: His own glory and the good of His people. These two objectives are never antithetical; they are always in harmony with each other. God never pursues His glory at the expense of the good of His people, not does He ever seek our good at the expense of His glory. He has designed His eternal purpose so that His glory and our good are inextricably bound together.”

What comfort and encouragement this is to me! If I am going to learn to trust God in adversity, I must believe that just as certainly as God will allow nothing to undermine His glory, so He will allow nothing to spoil the good He is working out in me.

Father I pray that when I meet trials of various kinds that I would turn to you as my blessed controller. May I remember that you work all things together for my good and Your glory.

Daily Bible Verse:

Colossians 1:17- “And he is before ALL things, and in him ALL things hold together.”

1 comment:

overthinker said...

Thank you for being the example you are in this area of trusting God. I'll keep your family in my prayers today.

Psalm.27

p.s. thanks for your encouragment. yes, let's keep "running hard"! {that phrase always brings to mind isaiah 40.28-31.}