Treasuring His Word

Psalm 94:19, 22- “When the cares of my heart are many, your consolations cheer my soul...the Lord has become my stronghold, and my God the rock of my refuge.”

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

For This is The Will of The Lord

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18- "Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."

The verse above has been playing over and over again in my head recently. As I’ve meditated on it God has been good to show me areas I’ve been lacking in. I pray you find the following breakdown helpful. I know I’ve been convicted!

“Rejoice ALWAYS” This is a very clear command. There is no option set forth. It doesn’t say rejoice when we feel like it. It says rejoice always! Rejoice in all situations! We are to rejoice every second of our days whether we want to or not. For “this is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it!” (Psalm 118:24) As I mentioned yesterday, something I’ve been learning recently is as I delight in the Lord, I find joy in all the daily tasks of life and what a difference it makes in my days! It’s not just an “I’m in a good mood joy”, but a lasting joy from the Lord!

Philippians 4:4- Rejoice in the Lord always; and again I will say, REJOICE!”

“Pray without ceasing” So many times I’ve been convicted of my lack of faith when praying. There have been times when praying that I’ve doubted God is really listening or that He would even want to answer my prayers, especially if it’s something I’ve been praying about for a long time. BUT God is always kind to extend grace and remind me that I am to pray without ceasing! We are to trust that God will heal, trust that He will provide, trust that all His ways and timing is perfect and have faith for the things that we cannot see. We are to walk by faith, not by sight! (2 Corinthians 5:7) Father forgive me for the times I haven’t trusted in Your Sovereignty and the times I haven’t been faithful to pray without ceasing! Thank you for the grace you extend to me over and over again every time I fail to walk by faith.

“Give thanks in ALL circumstances” This is pretty clear! We are to give thanks in every single circumstance of life; even the ones we think are bad. Something I try to remind myself of daily is even when I think something isn’t going well (Sitting in traffic, bad day at work, car breaks down, etc.) God does! He has planned out every step we take! He has ordained that we face difficult circumstances because they are for our good and His glory and we are to give thanks and rejoice through them!

“For this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you” It isn’t very often that I think of rejoicing, praying, and giving thanks as something the Lord wills. I’ve thought/think about them quite a bit but haven’t thought much about when we don’t rejoice, pray without ceasing, and give thanks at all times it is going against the will of the Lord. Thank you Lord for revealing this to me!

Here is the last bunch of ski trip pictures... Hope you've enjoyed them!

No comments: