Treasuring His Word

Psalm 94:19, 22- “When the cares of my heart are many, your consolations cheer my soul...the Lord has become my stronghold, and my God the rock of my refuge.”

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Rising Early

Something I’m trying to be more consistent in this year is rising early to spend extended time with the Lord every morning. Recently I’ve found myself to be very busy with lots of traveling, work, holidays, church activities, and keeping up with daily tasks such as laundry and cleaning. Through all of this busyness I’ve been reminded of the importance and necessity it is to spend time with the Lord FIRST thing in the morning. Mainly because if I don’t do it first thing in the morning there might not be extra time to read and pray later on in my days. Though recently I’ve been able to spend quite a bit of time with the Lord at work and at night I know soon that won’t be the case as my family is about to enter into another very busy season. There is a HUGE difference in my days when I don’t get up and have a quiet time first thing in the morning. When I say a difference in my days, I mean a difference in my attitude! I know as I get busier rising early won’t be something that will happen over night. It will probably take time to get into a different sleeping pattern, but will definitely be worth it!

I’m telling you all this because I would love for you all to ask me how I’m doing with “rising early”! =) Thanks!

Psalm 5:3-” O Lord, in the morning you hear my voice; in the morning I prepare a sacrifice for you and watch.”

Mark 1:35-“And rising very early in the morning, while it was still dark, he (Jesus) departed and went to a very desolate place, and there he prayed.”

“I earnestly recommend that it be in the early morning, unless there are some extenuating circumstances. Entering the day without a serious meeting with God, over his word and in prayer, is like entering the battle without tending to your weapons. The human heart does not replenish itself with sleep. The body does, but not the heart… We replenish our hearts not with sleep, but with the Word of God and prayer.” –John Piper

Here are some helpful tips from the Mahaney Women:

1. Place your alarm clock in a strategic location, preferably on the other side of the room from your bed.

2. Set your alarm for the same time every day.

3. Never, never, never hit the snooze button or lie back down to catch a few more winks. The second your alarm goes off it is the most critical moment in getting up early.

4. Proceed directly to the coffee pot of caffeinated drink of choice.

5. Be prepared to feel absolutely miserable for about ten to fifteen minutes. But the misery soon turns into pure gladness as your experience the delight of meeting with God and reap the benefits the rest of the day. Fifteen minutes of misery is certainly worth fifteen-plus hours of peace and productivity.

6. Remember that our bodies eventually respond to a standard wake-up time. In other words, it gets easier.

4 comments:

Colleen Moore said...

Girl, did I need this today! I will be asking you about it! Love you!

overthinker said...

ditto. i hear you girl! i will think of you as i sit on my deck groggily drinking coffee in the dark. God is faithful to wake us up enough to recieve from Him, no matter how tired we feel or how distracted we may be by the list of things needing our attention. :)

Chelsea said...

Wow...this was just what I needed to read!
I know this was posted last Tuesday, how have you been doing with it?
Love ya! :)

Candace said...

Hey Chelsea!

Thanks for asking! By God's grace, it's actually been going very well. My mornings have been much more prodcutive and my time with the Lord has been very sweet!

Hope everything is going well in Daytona! Praying for you!