Treasuring His Word

Psalm 94:19, 22- “When the cares of my heart are many, your consolations cheer my soul...the Lord has become my stronghold, and my God the rock of my refuge.”

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

True and Lasting Joy

"Saving faith is the confidence that if you sell all you have and forsake all sinful pleasures, the hidden treasure of holy joy will satisfy your deepest desires. Saving faith is the heartfelt conviction not only that Christ is reliable, but also that He is desirable. It is the confidence that He will come through with His promises and that what He promises is more to be desired than all the world." -John Piper

Wow! The quote above sure has gotten me thinking! How about you? Is there anything in your life that you’re treasuring more than Christ? Let’s stop and ask ourselves.... Is there anything in my life that would be/is difficult for me to give up? (Car, money, internet, house, cell phone, TV, etc.) Would I be ok if I had to sell everything I have right now? Is Christ more than enough for me?

Godliness is great gain; but only when accompanied by contentment! We should crave things that glorify God, not the things that bring satisfaction to the world, for they are slight and momentary compared to the glory of eternity. It is very easy to come up with reasons and excuses of why the sins of greed and materialism don’t apply to us. But whenever we think getting something material, or getting more of it, will answer our life’s needs, we lack this contentment. Whenever we are deeply grieved at material loss, we lack this contentment. Whenever we get an inordinate pleasure from buying or having some material thing, we lack this contentment. A heart of contentment begins with seeing our material possessions and resources in an eternal perspective. The desire to be rich can really only be satisfied in Jesus Christ, and satisfied with spiritual riches rather than material ones. Everything else falls short. God has commanded us not to be conformed to the world (Romans 12:2). If there is something that we’re treasuring more than Christ, let’s stop and repent and ask God to help us find Christ as the GREATEST joy of our heart.

1 John 2:15-17- “Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world- the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions- is not from the Father but is form the world. And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever.”

Take all I am, Lord, and all that I cling to
You are my Savior I owe everything to
Take all the treasures that lie in my storehouse
They cannot follow when I enter Your house

Take all my cravings for vain recognition
Fleshly indulgence and worldly ambition
Iwant so much Lord to make You the focus
To serve You in secret and never be noticed

Take all my hunger for all that’s forbidden
Every desire and sin I keep hidden
Search me and know me I want to bring to You
A life that is holy and sanctified through You

Rich Dalmas- SG Music

No comments: